It's time for another megamix, this time the SNES get's the spotlight!
The SNES era spawned some of the best video game music of all time, a lot of which we still hear today, usually in remixed or revised form, in newer versions of those games.
This was a milestone reward for my Patreon, and I just sort of went crazy and let everyone choose a song to add to the medley. I included a few extra songs just so make sure all important games from the SNES were touched on (yes, I forgot Earthbound :/. I apologize, I'll make up for it later).
These 35 SNES songs are featured:
1. Title Theme (Super Mario World) - If you had an SNES, chances
are this was one of, it not the first, song you got to hear from
it. There's no better option to open an enormous SNES Medley!
2. Boss Theme (Kirby Super Star) - This Boss Theme is just another of the many classic tunes from Kirby Super Star, a game with one of my personal favorite soundtracks.
3. Corneria (Star Fox) - This got a little more popular when it was remixed for Smash, but it is a pretty neat song and even though Star Fox isn't nearly as popular as it ever was, it still definitely deserves a spot.
4. Lavos (Chrono Trigger) - I get a lot of Chrono Trigger requests, and I expect a lot of people to ask for a full version of this. Maybe sometime later this year?
5. Boss Battle (Lufia II) - The SNES was arguably the best system for classic RPGs, and Lufia II was no exception. In fact you'll find a lot of songs in this medley are from RPGs.
6. Battle with the Four Fiends [Dreadful Battle] (Final Fantasy IV) - The first of the 3 SNES Final Fantasy's, all of which had awesome soundtracks, this is one of my favorite songs from the game, glad it was submitted because I actually forgot it existed. xD
7. Bowser Castle (Mario Kart) - The first of 2 Mario Kart songs in this medley. Did you realize this song is extremely similar to the Bowser Battle theme from Super Mario World?
8. Fight Against an Armed Boss (Super Mario RPG) - One of my favorite game soundtracks of all time, probably in my personal top 3. I could've gone with several songs but, aside from Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, this is likely the next most popular option.
9. Bowser's Stage (Tetris Attack) - And now we start getting into the unexpected songs! I only played Tetris Attack a handful of times, so you might be more familiar with this song than I am. xD
10. Warning One (Front Mission: Gun Hazard) - The first of a few Super Famicom songs to make an appearance in this medley. I can't tell you much about this game but the song is pretty neat, also a lot of this soundtrack was composed by Nobuo Uematsu so you can't go wrong there.
11. Destiny (Popful Mail) - SFC song #2, really overlooked soundtrack with a lot of catchy songs. I found this one getting stuck in my head a lot after learning it.
12. Leave Time for Love [Mana Fortress] (Secret of Mana) - Another amazing game with a great soundtrack. Did you hear there is going to be a Seiken Densetsu 1 remake?
13. Megalomania (Live a Live) - I haven't played Live a Live but have heard a lot of great things about it. Yoko Shimomura composed the soundtrack as well so no wonder it's great.
14. Death Mountain (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) - Again, any song from this game would've done, but I've been wanting to Death Mountain for a while so this was a satisfying submission for me. xD
15. Mario Circuit (Mario Kart) - Mario Kart song #2! MK has come a long way since those days. Who'd of thought?
16. Hot Pursuit (Donkey Kong Country 3) - A song of constant escalating tension, what better for a great racing tune? DKC music has a style like no other.
17. Battle 2 (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) - This is a really awesome song. It's a shame I can't say the same about the game. xD
18. Counter Hunter Stage 1 (Mega Man X2) - Well, I did a huge chunk of the MMX soundtrack when I did the MMX Maverick Medley, so this time around we get to hear some MMX2. This is the first of the 2 MMX2 songs to appear in this medley.
19. Metropolis (Sim City) - Expect the unexpected! A fun and funky song. I still remember when Sim City was like, the ultimate simulation game, haha.
20. Gato's Theme (Chrono Trigger) - Maybe you needed some quick silver points, and that's why you know this song. Even though this song is really short, it always got stuck in my head quite easily.
21. Mining Melancholy (Donkey Kong Country 2) - Another DKC appearance, this time with DKC2. I really like this song a lot, it's similar in feel to Stickerbush Symphony.
22. Theme of Simon (Super Castlevania IV) - Simon get's a theme! If you played the original Castlevania's than surely you played SCIV.
23. Underworld (Terranigma) - Terranigma is a really overlooked and underappreciated game with a great soundtrack. It wasn't released in the US for some reason. If you ever get bored and want a game to check out that's similar to Zelda, give this one a try.
24. Big Boss Confrontation [Ridley/Draygon] (Super Metroid) - Ridley's Theme! Sort of, haha. I'll be doing a full version of this sometime in the future.
25. Castle Theme (SMW2: Yoshi's Island) - I don't know if you ever noticed, but the rhythm throughout and especially in the intro is very similar to the rhythm in the Song of Storms from Zelda.
26. Padi (Darius Twin) - It seems to be a requirement for plane shooters to have awesome soundtracks. I've seen a few requests for Darius songs, so here's something to satisfy you for a little bit.
27. Boss Battle (Metal Max 2) - I love this song! I don't know anything about Metal Max 2, but this is one of the best RPG battle songs I've never heard xD.
28. Clash on the Big Bridge [Gilgamesh] (Final Fantasy V) - A highly requested song and the most popular song from FFV. I was going to do a full version of this back in 2013, but I never finished it. I will have a full version of this this year!
29. Ken's Theme (Street Fighter II) - Guile's theme might go with everything, but Ken's Theme only goes with one thing: Kicking Ass. My personal favorite song from the SF franchise.
30. Fighting of the Spirit (Tales of Phantasia) - I see requests for this quite a bit, and was going to do a full version a while ago but never got around to it. Maybe someday.
31. Opening Stage (Mega Man X2) - More MMX2! This is a really wacky song, especially on drums. Really cool though.
32. Devil's Lab (Final Fantasy VI) - I'll say it before and I'll say it again, FFVI has my favorite game soundtrack. I decided to go a different route from the battle themes and go with something different this time: Devil's Lab, the Magitek Factory theme.
33. Fire Field (F-Zero) - We've been Mute City'd and Big Blue'd to death, so to represent F-Zero I went with Fire Field!
34. Big Apple 3 A.M. (TMNT IV: Turtles in Time) - Another classic tune from a time when TMNT games were great. You know what song I've always wanted to do this from this soundtrack? The Super Shredder Boss Theme.
35. Ending Theme (Super Mario World) - It surely wasn't heard as often as the Title Theme, but when it comes to credit and staff roll themes from SNES games, this is usually the first to come to mind. This is for finishing what we started!
As I said earlier, I thought I had covered every corner of the SNES but it was made aware to me that I forgot about Earthbound! I'm a bad person. I'll make it up to you Earthbound people later, don't worry.
Until then, relish in the days of classic SNES and enjoy the medley! :)